Sunday, May 2, 2010

For now

Ah, finals weekend. It is the weekend of what I like to call "productive procrastination". A weekend whe I find myself so enamored with the(completely delusional) prospect of free time around the corner. When I think to myself, "after this weekend, I will have TIME. I will have people over, I will RELAX". And so, to prepare for this new life that is (never) to come, I clean. I finally get around to my spring cleaning, and I organize. I vacuum more thoroughly than I have done since...well, probably the last round of finals. I prepare to put winter clothes into storage. I pull weeds from my flower beds. It is a metaphor for my semester: I purge myself of the stress and the grime of the semester by enhancing my environment. I want to shop: to put the doom and gloom of last semester behind me and start fresh. I plant more flowers in the flowerbed, hoping to see that same sense of change for a fraction of the cost.

The reality is, after this week, a new week begins. A new class starts. My clients keep on coming. I get another diagnostic report to write up. I start to think about the fact that in a few short weeks, I am starting about 6 new clients, and only losing 2 from my current caseload. I prepare for whirlwind weekends of family visiting, weddings, and family trips.

But right now, I do loads of laundry and clean all the towels in the house. I finish a take-home exam and start a presentation. I open all the windows in the house and let in the fresh air.

And I feel lighter.
Just until the reality of next week sets in.

No comments:

Post a Comment